Dry verge caps is the term used to describe the mechanical fixing of the roof perimeter without the use of mortar. Traditional mortar bedding is still the most widely used fixing method in England and Wales, in contrast to Scotland, where 80% of roofing is already mechanically fixed.
However, the increased incidence of storms over the last few years has clearly highlighted the unreliability of mortar.
The gradual switch to Dry verge roofing in Britain looks set to gather greater momentum. Considering all the advantages, it is not difficult to see why.
The roof is the most exposed part of any building. Differential movement causes mortar to crack and no reliance should be placed on its tensile or shear strength. The action of frost and rain will exploit the development of hairline cracks, and will inevitably lead to future maintenance.
The installation of Dry verges and ridges from Derby Roofline eliminates the need for mortar pointing.
Derby Roofline specialise in fitting dry verge system for gable ends, our dry verge system is compatible with almost all of the interlocking metric sized roof tiles available and is designed to overcome the problems of traditional mortar bedding, such as cracking and long term maintenance.
Here we see the correct way of installing Dry Verge Caps, each one is individually fixed with corrosive resistant screws.
- Dry verge caps are safe and secure and offer better resistance to wind uplift and water penetration.
- They comply with BS 5534 requirements for mechanical fixing.
- Fixing need not be a problem in bad weather because, unlike mortar, Dry verge caps are mechanically fixed and therefore can be easily installed, even in damp and frosty conditions.
- Fixing is fast and simple, without the mess and inconvenience of mixing, carrying and using mortar.
- Installing Dry verge caps means a more consistent appearance, with none of the longer-term maintenance problems and costs associated with mortar bedding.
- Prevents entry of birds and large insects.
This is what happens when they are fitted by the less scrupulous type of companies, as you can see no fixings whatsoever!